Wednesday 9 March 2011

Some Katapola Shops and Tavernas, etc.

A stroll around some of the "commercial" extablishments in Katapola, Xilokeratidi, and Rachidi.

To Mouragio.  A taverna I first ate at in 1985.
Amorgos Market, or Costa's.  If I remember correctly, this shop used to be in the green painted building to the left, which later was at one time a kitchen and bathroom shop.
Mavro's supermarket.  Food and groceries on the ground floor, hardware upstairs.  I remember when this was a much smaller shop (in the building on the left?), dark and old-fashioned, with the counter on the right.

Teleion.  In 1985 this was a bakery, and later became a cafe.  In 1985 there was also a bakery in Xilokeratidi, up the pathhat the end of the lane between Gavalas and Vitzentos tavernas.

Gorgona Giro Taverna
Loudaros Grocery Shop
ATE Bank.  In 1985 there was an Agricultural Bank in Chora.  Later there was a small bank in the main square in Katapola, and later still the bank opened in this building.  The cash machine is extremely useful!  There is also a cash machine in Chora (at the Katapola end of the village, near thge square where the bus stops and the "town" hall.  There is also a cash machine near the Hotel Mike in Aegiale.  At one time there was a second cash machine in Katapola, outside what is now the Amorgiona shop.
Panemporiki Amorgos "Michelakis".  In outside appearance this shop has not changed since 1985.  Inside it is a "treasure trove" of hardware.  For locals there are all sorts of "do it yourself" products; I have bought light bulbs, crocery and cutlery, three way adaptors (so I can plug more than one item into an electric socket), and the small Greek "microfoss" (a sort of nightlight witgh the light fitting attached to the plug).
Boutique Vaggelitsa.  Items on sale include clothing and toys.

Akri Taverna.    At first I read this name, in lower case Greek, as "Aken".  But I knew that I had not tranliterated the name of this tavernacorrectly, as I remembered that the name on the menu was not the name I expected this word to read.  I particularly like the keftedes (cheese or courgette) at this taverna.  Some keftedes can be heavy, but here they are as light as a feather!
 
Traditional Products from Amorgos
Synodinos Travel
Butchers - this is the older of the two butchers in Katapola.
To Kamari
Akroyali
Gift Shop.  In recent years this shop has been a gift shop in the summer months (by "summer" I mean May and September, and no doubt the months between!)  In 1985 this shop was a grocery.  Internally, when I last looked in, the building still has a traditional shop appearance.  In 1985 I often went to this shop, as it was the only shop with yogurt on sale. 
Captain Dimos.  I think of this taverna as new, as I remember when it was being converted.  But it has been  open now for many years.
Ursula's Grocery, Rachidi. 
The Corner Taverna
On the left, a bookshop and photographers.  On the right, the bakery.  These two shops are now such a fixture that thgey seem to have been here forever.  But the shops, and I'm certain the building, were not here in 1985.  I don't recall what was in this corner in 1985  - perhaps a single storey building that has been modernised and expanded?  I must find the slides I took in 1985!


No comments:

Post a Comment