Tuesday 29 March 2011

Breakfast on Anafi - rough bread and no yogurt

A new day, a new island to explore, but first breakfast. I set off intending to buy some yogurt, thick creamy Greek yogurt.

I soon discovered that the shops in Anafi were not geared to tourists, and the locals did not care for yogurt (of if they did had cleared all supplies from the shop fridges). How used we become to well stocked shops, and how quickly unused to them! There was a small general store, and a bakery. There was no sign of any honey on sale. I later saw lots of beehives, perhaps you need to know a beekeeper to buy honey on Anafi. The only preserves I saw on sale were sesame paste, praline spread with chocolate, and orange marmalade. For future reference, I noted the wine that was on sale, just Bon Viveur, and Caligula. I stuck to taverna barrel wine.

The bakery sold brown bread as well as white bread. You do not often see brown bread on sale in Greece (though I do see brown bread on sale more often now than I used to). I bought a loaf of brown bread, which was very rough textured and looked as if everything that grew in the grain field was thrown into it. It was very good bread, though. I eked out the two 'individual' portions of honey I had bought in Amorgos.

A friend later told me that she had bought home salted capers and local honey on Anafi. You need to know who to ask!
[late 1990s]

No comments:

Post a Comment