Tuesday 29 March 2011

Naxos - All hours shops

I usually arrive at Athens airport at about 4 in the morning, and head to Piraeus for a ferry leaving for Naxos at about 7.30.

One year it was Easter in England, and the Thursday night flight was very expensive. So I spent a night at Gatwick airport, and flew on a cheaper flight to Athens the next morning. I caught a ferry that should have reached Naxos at about 10.30 in the evening; but it was the week before Easter in Greece, and the ferry was full, and it took ages to unload cars at Paros. So it was late, about midnight, when I reached Naxos. The ferry had been crowded, and there was barely standing room inside. And it was raining - I spent the journey in a semi-covered area. So I was ready for some light - and not so light - refreshment when I reached Naxos. And it would be nice to have the wherewithal to make coffee the next morning. Heading to the hotel, not far from the port, I saw that the local shop was still open. I dropped off my bags and dashed out to the shop - still open  - and I stocked up with essentials. That particular shop was probably open so late as the traffic from the boat headed past.

[about 2005]

No comments:

Post a Comment