Monday 25 July 2011

Psarapoula is no more

Psarapoula in Katapola was not a taverna I went to regularly.  There seemed to be different people running it each year, and it had no consistent or continuous character.  In July 2011 there were major renovations going on there, and a sign reading

"open soon ...  DIOSMARINIS bar - Restaurant"







Diosmarini's in February 2012, when the taverna was closed.  Despite all the building work taking place in 2011, from outside little seems to have changed!


I do remember seeing on the wall in Psarapoula (and this was quite a few years ago) a map of Katapola in the early 1980s.  I forget the exact date of the map, but it was a year or two before my first visit to Amorgos in 1985.  What surprised me about the map was the large number of bars shown.  Nearly every other building was shown as a bar, bars the names of which I did not recognise.  My visit in 1985 was in March, when seasonal places aimed at tourists would have been closed.  But I do not remember seeing evidence of all those bars in Katapola.  The only place open for eating was To Mouragio.  The building that is now the Moon Bar was open, and I remember going in there.  But I don't recall any other eating or drinking establishment, open or closed!  I see at Bitzentos taverna there is a new sign saying the taverna has been there since 1984.  In 1985 I stayed in a room in the Bitzentos building - and didn't notice a taverna downstairs!

I do wish I had taken a photo of that old map, and I would have done some Katapola tourism "archaeology"!

No comments:

Post a Comment