Monday 25 July 2011

Basil

In the spring I had lots of re-used NouNou tins dotted around the terrace, containing cut flowers.  In July I could have found some flowers in the countryside to pick, but there aren't many and I doubt if they would have survived long after being cut.  I remember one year that I picked some plants early on in a visit, and after a few days the flowers in the countryside had mostly died away; but the flowers on my terrace were thriving!

Early on this visit I went to the garden centre near the campsite in Katapola, and bought a small potted basil.  On my last trip to Greece I bought two very small basil plants from a shop in Naxos, and carefully carried them by ferry to Amorgos.  On the ferry the little plants were in a plastic carrier bag, and tied onto a railing by my seat on deck.  The plant I bought this time is much bigger, and I am sure has grown quite a lot since I have been here.  The plant is now flowerng, so I assume that the basil is a happy and contented little plant!  I haven't been eating the basil, I just like having the plant on my terrace table to finger and smell as I pass.

I won't take the basil back to England, but will leave it here.

Something else I have noticed this trip is basil plants on boats.  A few of the yachts in the harbour have basil plants.  And one of the small boats  doing trips to the bathing beaches, the Natassa, has a large basil plant on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment