Monday 25 July 2011

John Atkinson Grimshaw (1836 - 1893)

John Atkinson Grimshaw (1836 - 1893), usually referred to as Atkinson Grimshaw, was a painter.  I have prints of one or two of Atkinson Grimshaw's paintings, and I have seen some of his original paintings in leeds Art Gallery. 

You may be wondering why I am mentioning Atkinson Grimshaw in a blog about Greece.  Atkinson Grimshaw was from Leeds, and as far as I am aware travelled no further afield than Scotland.  Many of Atkinson Grimshaw's paintings are of moonscapes, and some are of seascapes by moonlight.  I was taking photos of the sunset in Katapola bay the other night (the moon had not risen) and suddenly thought of Atkinson Grimshaw.  It may have been the silhouettes that made the boats look more old-fashioned than they look in the daylight; it may have been the "Victorian"  style lamp standards - the lights came on as I was taking photographs.

You can read about Atkinson Grimshaw at http://www.johnatkinsongrimshaw.org/, and see copies of his paintings.

This is one of Atkinson Grimshaw's paintings



This is one of my photos of a Katapola sunset


No comments:

Post a Comment