Monday 25 July 2011

I can't tell yes from no

I was looking at the Amstel (Greece) website, wondering why the current Greek Amstel bottle mentions a gold medal won in Amsterdam in 1883.  Hasn't Amstel won any medals since 1883?  Is the date of the awardf menat to be a talking point, to get people talking about Amstel.  I'm writing about Amstel, so there must be some benefit in mentioning an award won as along ago as 1883.

But the first page contained some Greek text, followed by the words "Nai" and "Oxi".  I understood that the Greek was asking me if I was over 18; if I was in any doubt, the url included "agecheck".  So what did I do - click "Oxi" for "OK".  "NO" I almost shouted as soon as I had clicked, of course I know that "Nai", sounding like "no" means "yes"; and "Oxi" sounding like "OK" means "no".  Obvious, isn't it?!

At the second attempt I clicked "Nai", and was allowed in.  But there was no English version, and I could not see a search box (I intended searching for "1883").  So I went to Amstel.com.  In English.  And saw a heritage video mentioning early awards.  Still wondering why awards as early as 1883 are mentioned on the label!

No comments:

Post a Comment