Tuesday 27 September 2011

Kalo Taxidi - Electricity

Electricity
Electricity has now reached most places in Greece in which a tourist is likely to stay. I have never stayed anywhere in Greece without electricity. There is usually at least one power cut on each of my visits to Greece. I always travel with a torch. Apart from power cuts, these are useful at night e.g. for unlocking the door to your room if there is no outside light.

Sometimes power cuts can be at awkward times - e.g. at night when you are doing last-minute packing before catching a middle-of-the-night ferry.

Power cuts these days are usually only for half an hour or so. Shops now have far more in the way of frozen food than when I first came to Greece in 1981. In 1981 the electricity supply, in the islands at least, appeared to be not reliable enough for storage of frozen food. [2011 update. There are not so many power cuts as there used to be - although this year I have read of the possibility of strikes by electricity workers. A few years ago on one island I saw the machinery of the old power station being taken away on a ferry. On the same island I saw, posted days in advance, a notice warning of a future power cut.]


An extract from my book about Greece, "Kalo Taxidi".

No comments:

Post a Comment