Monday 26 September 2011

Kalo Taxidi - Andros Café Cats

An extract from my book "Kalo Taxidi"



Andros Café Cats

One day when I was sitting at the café in the square outside the museum the cats began to sing, and made me think of the music thought originally (but not now) to be by Rossini. I had heard the song sung at the previous year’s last night of the Proms. That mock spitefulness - the cats were just right! Another cat arrived and they caterwauled. Quite cute - both wailed - rubbed - or nearly rubbed - noses; then put one ear near the other's ear. A person wearing a stripy long jumper at the neighbouring bar came across and looked, fascinated, as I was. Then a chap came out of the bar and said in good English "Stop that noise, you cats." The cats obviously spoke English, understood, and departed.

The cats (in Andros Chora in general, not just at the taverna) were all so healthy that I wondered if a shipping magnate had endowed a vet and paid for all the necessary treatments. There were lots of well-fed cats. Down one back street I saw a pot (an old handleless frying pan) full of water and another of full cat biscuits. One cat pulled a biscuit out of the pot with his paw, so carefully, then ate it. The fastest things in the vehicle-free Chora are on four legs.


An extract from my book "Kalo Taxidi"

No comments:

Post a Comment