Tuesday 31 January 2012

Kalo Taxidi - the sequel. Tricks of Memory


It is strange - but perhaps not when you think about it - how places in different parts of Greece have the same name. When you think about it there are lots of place names repeated in different parts of England, e.g. because they describe a common feature. Think back to Italy. Every city seemed to have a Piazza Garibaldi. Now was that the bus station in Rome or Florence - or was it Naples. Sometimes in Greece when I want to catch a bus back to base, I have to stop and think what the place I am staying in is called, as travel tiredness dulls the memory. Is it Gialos or was that the last island? Only yesterday I was asked my postcode, and said the second bit was LS1. It is 1LS, and LS1 is an impossible postcode, but that is the trick that my memory played on me (naughty memory!).





I published my book "Kalo Taxidi - Notes from Greece and the Greek islands in July 2011. I am now working on my next book about Greece, and adding some extracts to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment