Tuesday 17 January 2012

Greek Island Hopping 2012





"Greek Island Hopping 2012" by Frewin Poffley is an essential guide for anyone visiting Greece for the first time, or exploring parts of Greece they don't know.  Athens hotels, information about boats and ports, maps of the main villages in the islands, tips on where to eat and sleep, and tips on sightseeing.

When I was exploring new-to-me parts of Greece this book was usually an essential part of my luggage.  I say "usually" as I am thinking of my first and only visit to Chios.  "Greek Island Hopping" was usually in my hand luggage.  At the airport in England there were announcements about increased security, and passengers were asked to take as little as possible into the cabin.  So I transferred my copy of "Greek Island Hopping" and much more from my cabin bag into my rucksack.  And "Greek Island Hopping" was in my rucksack many hours later when I arrived art Chios airport. 

I waited at the luggage arrival belt at Chios airport.  Othwer passengers collected their bags and went away.  There were no bags left on the belt.  I made some enquiries.  My rucksack was still in Athens, and would be sent on the next plane many hours later.  At least there was (at least then) more than one flight a day from Athens to Chios.

I didn't want to stay for hours at Chios airport, so I went into Chios town.  A town which I didn't know, and had no map.  And no "Greek Island Hopping".  I'd normally have done at least some homework about my destination.  But not on this occasion.  Chios had been on my agenda for some time, and may have been a last minute decision.

It was on this trip when I was "all alone" in Chios that I realised what a good companion "Greek Island Hopping" was when exploring the Greek islands.

Amazon shows that the 2012 edition will be published on 16 February 2012.  Surprisingly, there isn't a Kindle edition available.  But perhaps not so surprising if the maps won't reproduce well.


No comments:

Post a Comment