Tuesday 31 January 2012

Kalo Taxidi - the sequel. Food disasters



The meals at one taverna sounded fine on the menu, but arrived smothered in peas. Not nice fresh-from-the pod peas but elderly peas, peas that put me in mind of the shops I saw in Communist Bulgaria stocked with little else but bags of firewood (too small for a decent fire, I wondered what was done with it) and peas. Large jars full of pickled or preserved peas with a yellowish tinge. Most unappetising. It may be that peas in tins look somewhat similar, but peas in tins cannot be seen through the metal of the tin. These bottled peas were not modest in the way that tinned peas are. You could see every wart and all.

And then there was the pea-green coloured tuna .....................................

I am reminded of the pies served in a student hall of residence. I was expecting the pie to contain brown meat and gravy. A green slime oozed out of the pie. The pie was supposed to be a curry pie.





I published my book "Kalo Taxidi - Notes from Greece and the Greek islands in July 2011. I am now working on my next book about Greece, and adding some extracts to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment