Monday 19 March 2012

Nigel McGilchrist - Greek Islands

A series of books on the architecture and archaelology of the Greek islands.  I took the violumes containing Naxos and Amorgos on my last holiday to Greece.  I've been visiting Naxos and Amorgos for over 25 years and still managed to find things in the books that I did not know.  So the books must be even more useful for travellers who know the islands less well.

On one walk it was difficult to work out which church was being described.  The book mentioned two churches on the route - I found three.

It wasn't a good idea to say that the church key was above the door - no more.

In one of the books I'm sure that I read that a local cheese was capable of autolocomotion - I looked again and could not find the comment.  The "autolocomotive" cheese was a soft cheese.  I usually find soft cheeses are relatively mild.  It is the hard cheeses that are pungent .............................

No comments:

Post a Comment