Tuesday 9 August 2011

Red or White?

I asked for an Amstel in a small taverna on a small Greek island.  The waiter said something to me that I did not quite catch the first time he said it.  "Bottle or draught?" he repeated.  I was not expecting to be offered draught Amstel in Greece, especially in such a small taverna.

I was reminded of an occasion many years earlier.  I was in Italy in the late 1970s, staying at a youth hostel.  I was eating in the self service restauarnt, and had reached the check out.  the person at the till said something that sounded like "Red or white" in English.  I sometimes find that, when listening to a foreign language being spoken that I do not understand, I subconsciously try to make sense of what is said; and that involves trying to hear sounds that make sense in English.

"Red or white" made no sense at all.

The person at the till said "Which wine would you like, red or white?"

I was expecting the youth hostel to be teetotal, not selling wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment