Tuesday 9 August 2011

Jehane West

On 21 May I noticed the announcement of the death of Jehane West in the Times:

Jehane (née Ingram) peacefully in Yorkshire on Sunday 15th May 2011 aged 95. Remarkable Adventurer and Friend. Funeral at Grewelthorpe on Tuesday 7th June at 3.15pm

Some years ago I was reading one of Alec Guinness's books, and he mentioned that his friend Jehane West had rung him from Amorgos to ask about the health of a cat.  Because of the reference to Amorgos the name Jehane West stuck in my mind.

I have since read that Jehane West was a friend of Molly MacKenzie, author of a book about Amorgos (more details to be added when I have laid hands on the book!)

Read more about Jehane West
http://howarddieno.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/a-dear-friend-is-gone/

Another photo of Jehane West, with Molly MacKenzie
http://linniemax.blogspot.com/2010/10/october-3rd.html

Looking in some of Alec Guinness's books trying to find the reference to Jehane West in Amorgos, I came across quite a few other references to Jehane West.  More to be added anon!

No comments:

Post a Comment