Sunday 27 February 2011

Sun? I've forgotten what the sun looks like!

I must find a photo of the sun, to remind myself what it looks like.  It's now Sunday morning.  The last time I saw the sun was a sunset near Heathrow last Thursday.  Are skies perpetually grey, or are they sometimes blue as well?  The view from the window is almost monochrome, grey sky, grey sea - the only splash of colour is the cream wall of the building next door.  Oh, and the bright yellow of the waterproofs so many people are wearing.  At Athens airport so many people were wearing yellow waterproofs, I hadn't realised rthere could be so many in Greece.  And the trains of  luggage trailers running to and from the planes were coverd in sheets of thick plastic, flapping in the wind, meant to keep the luggage dry.

It was sunny on Thursday when, still in England, I checked the weather in Greece.  Not a glimmer of sun mentioned in the Greek forecast.  There was a severe weather warning in Greece - snow in the mountains and other places, including the Cyclades.  And hail forecast for Naxos.  I haven't seen snow or hail yet.  And, yesterday at least, the ferries were still running.

I am thinking of the time when there was snow in Naxos, and I was in a taverna looking at photos of the snow on TV.  Looking at the captions on TV, I wondered where in Greece "Kakokeria" was.  Later I realised that kakokeria was Greek for bad weather!  Here I am in 2011 in Naxos, wondering if I will soon be publishing another book in the "Snow in Naxos" series!

At least it is warm and comfortable indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment