Monday 28 February 2011

Stale news

Some time ago I was reading the International Herald Tribune (a paper I buy in Greece as it includes some Greek news in the Ekathimerini in English supplement). I read about the result of a general election in England. I was puzzled, as when I left England there was no hint in the news that a general election was in the offing. And I had been keeping abreast of the news whilst I was away, and again no mention of an election. Puzzled. Then I spotted that I was reading what happened many years ago, 50 or 60, on the same date!

Thinking of old news, sometimes towards the end of the holiday season, when newsagents in Greece are no longer stocking new copies of foreign language papers, the old copies can remain on sale for some time. Like a two week old copy of the Sunday Times!

No comments:

Post a Comment