Wednesday 29 May 2013

Cash machines in Greece

Cash machines are a boon.  I think of money difficulties in Greece before cash machines. 

Buying travellers cheques and changing them in banks and at times when banks were open.

Bringing eurocheques, which you could only change in a post office, which meant finding a post office and a psot office that was open.  The post office might be in the uphill village and you are staying in the port.  I'm thinking of the chap I once saw on Kithnos, jogging uphill - he was going to the post office to buy some stamps.

When I am staying in a small place with kjust one cash machine, I do keep my fingers crossed for the welfare of the cash machine.  I don't rely on the cash machine working at weekends, as I have seen "connection to host lost", or similar messages.  Either withdraw the amount I asked for, or withdraw a lesser amount that, when added to charges, would come to the amount I had asked for.  I opted for the amount I had asked for.  The charges quoted did seem high - about 8%.   the cost of convenience ..................

I started thinking about cash machines as I noticed a new option last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment