Wednesday 20 March 2013

ekathimerini.com | Greek shopping basket is cheaper than those in UK, France, Spain

ekathimerini.com | Greek shopping basket is cheaper than those in UK, France, Spain

This survey covered two basic products in supermarkets.
"Value-added tax, which is comparatively higher in Greece, accounts for a significant share of retail prices in this country. Excluding VAT, Greek prices are 44 percent cheaper than in the UK, 39 percent below the French average and 8.5 percent lower than in Spain."

At home in England I know the best places to buy what I want - supermarkets for bland basic products, and small local shops for local products.

In Greece I don't hunt out supermarkets - I'm on holiday, staying in small places, and like to support the owners of small shops.  I don't want to waste my time on holiday hunting down bargain basement products.

As a student I lived for some time in Belgium.  In those days I was a novice shopper.  I remember buying a bunch of bananas in a small shop.  Those bananas cost my food budget for about a month.  I quickly learnt to shop more cannily. 

But I'm surprised that how cheap the survey found the 20 basic products to be in Greece.  But then, what is a "basic product"?

No comments:

Post a Comment