Wednesday 20 March 2013

BBC News - 'Marmageddon' over as New Zealand shops restock Marmite

BBC News - 'Marmageddon' over as New Zealand shops restock Marmite

"Sanitarium Marmite uses a different recipe than the English version of Marmite, manufactured by a different company."

I must admit to not being a Marmite fan, and wouldn't be able to tell a New Zealand Sanitarium Marmite from an English Marmite.  But foods are adapted to suit different taste buds.

I remember once eating a breakfast in Greece that contained baked beans.  These looked like the baked beans we buy in cans in England.  They were not "gigantes", the large butter bean type of bean that is popular in Greece, cooked in a tomato sauce.  I put a forkful of the Greek baked beans in my mouth, and ghad a shock.  English baked beans must contain sugar, but I had not until then thought of English baked beans as being sweet.  These Greek baked beans had a definite vinegary taste.  The Greek baked beans were perfectly palatable, once you had got over the initial shock of the unexpected vinegary taste.  But I prefer English-style baked beans, and haven't been tempted to buy a tin of Greek baked beans, to see if the beans that come out of a Greek tin taste different to English baked beans. It mmay be that the particular`cafe I was in "enhanced" their baked beans with vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment