Thursday 28 June 2012

Greek-American chef finds opportunity in Greece financial meltdown

http://www.pri.org/stories/world/greek-american-chef-finds-opportunity-in-greece-financial-meltdown-10449.html

This caught my eye: 
"In 2009, Vezene started his own restaurant, an Italian place on the Greek island of Meganisi."
It is many years since I went to Meganisi, but I remember going into a taverna in the uphill village with a friend.  All there was to eat was one gigante.  Not a portion, just one gigante.  For those who don't know, gigantes are like large baked beans, served in a toamto sauce.  Things must have changed a lot on Meganisi.  That "meal" is tored in the same memory compartment as:

Serifos.  I was there in I think March.  There were few ferries.  The food at the one open taverna dwindled day by day.  Tomato, cucumber, meat - all were off.  As I waited for the fery, all that was on the menu was pasta.  No sauce, just pasta.

Siphnos.  A bar by the sea.  The bar appeared to be open, but there was nothing to drink available to by.  the person on duty offered to ladle some water out of a bowl for me to drink.

Many years later I know Greece much better and haven't been on short commons for years!

No comments:

Post a Comment