Tuesday 19 June 2012

Greece v Russia - celebrations on Naxos

Party Time In Greece As The National Side Stuns Russia In EURO 2012 

Read about the match as seen on Naxos.

Greeks are very enthusiastic about football, but very well-behaved.

Many bars and tavernas have large screens.

Last year I went to one of my favourite tavernas in Naxos. There were 30, 40, perhaps more young men in a group eating there, all wearing football shirts. If I had been in England I would have rapidly moved on and eaten elsewhere. But in Naxos, no problem.

Earlier this year I was on an island much smaller than Naxos, in winter. In one taverna I noticed a rolled up screen and stand. A day or two later I noticed the taverna was crowded - with people watching a football match on the screen.

A final thought on football. Often in bars and tavernas the TV is switched on, but the volume turned down. The sound you hear is from a CD or radio. But when there is a football match on TV, the sound you hear is of the football match.
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment