Tuesday 25 October 2011

Pilot scheme to convert rundown Athens hotel into student residence

Pilot scheme to convert rundown Athens hotel into student residence

I've mixed feelings about this.  It's good to see plans to see a closed hotel put to good use.  But a time will come when tourism starts to increase, and hotel beds will be needed.

Omonia strikes me as being in need of a good PR agent.  When I read about Omonia Square, it always seems to be in a negative context.  I haven't intentionally mean to Omonia for years.  I usually do nothing more than change tube trains at Omonia on my way from Piraeus to Synagma.  When I first went to Athens in 1981 I stayed in a hotel part way between Monastiraki and Omonia.  I hadn't then fully discovered the charm of Plaka, and did venture down to Omonia.  There was nothing squalid or sleazy about it then that I recall, and I often went to the roof top cafe in one of the big shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment