Saturday 22 October 2011

The Greek Cuts bite - ferry strikes

Most years I would be in Greece for two weeks in October.  This year I was in Greece for five weeks in June- July-August so probaly won't go to Greece until early in 2012.

Looking at Blue Star's timetable, I'm glad I'm not in Greece now.  From what I had read in the press I thought there was just a two day national strike on Tuesday and and Wednesday.  But Blue Star say

17/10/2011 - UNEFFECTED ITINERARIES FROM 17/10/11-22/10/11, DUE TO PAN-HELLENIC SEAMEN FEDERATION STRIKE
Due to the strike of Pan-Hellenic Seamen Federation,  the itineraries of our vessels will not be performed from Monday 17/10/11 until Saturday 22/10/11Blue Star Ferries
The strike ended on 25 October.  Seamen call off strike   Ended mostly, as seamen working on the ANEK and NEL are expected to contine striking.

But if you are imagining ferries returning to Piraeus packed with tourists keen to get home:

Transport woes resume Tuesday

Taxis will be running in Athens, but are planning strikes in the next few days.

Usually when I go to Greece  have a Plan B.  If the ferry I paln to catch does not run, I have alternative plans up my sleeve.  At present in Greece I'd need a whole alphabet of alternatives.  Or just go with the best option available.

No comments:

Post a Comment