Friday 26 October 2012

Turks Claim Kourabiedes as Their Own

Turks Claim Kourabiedes as Their Own | Greece.GreekReporter.com Latest News from Greece

I don't want to add fuel to the Turkish claim, but in over 30 years of visiting Greece I don't recall having seen or eaten a kourabiedes.  Savoury food is listed on menus, but most tavernas don't sell much in the way of desserts.  Greeks tend to go to a "patisserie" for dessert.  Patisseries do have menus, but I tend not to look at them, except for drinks.  I go inside and look at what is on display.  In the patisserie I usually go to cakes are labelled by number, not name.  I do tend to look at portion size slices of cakes, not at the section where smaller items are sold by weight, and that may be where the kourabiedes lurk. 

I had to look up kourabiedes to see what it was - a shortbread type biscuit usually made with ground almonds

Wikipedia - Qurabiya  Wikipedia suggests a Persian origin, and also refers to Spain, Mexico, the Philippines and the US.

I have seen Scottish and English shortbread (in packets) on sale in Greek shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment