Saturday 18 June 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13802940
Film of the dog at the midst of the riots in Athens reminded me of when I was in Athens in March 2005.

I had arrived in Athens in the early hours of the morning on 12 March.  I had intended catching a ferry to Naxos, but this was the last weekend of Carnival, and all the ferries were full.  So I decided to stay in Athens until Sunday.  I found a hotel and after a short sleep set out across the National Gardens to the Museum of Cycladic Art.  I noticed a lot of unusual activity, including TV cameras, and wondered what was going on.  I did not know that Karolos Papoulias was about to be sworn in as President of Greece. 

Some time later I emerged from the Museum, and was in the thick of the ceremony.  Soldiers parading, bands playing, and a dog greatly enjoying itself. 

The dog photographed in the riots was a different colour to the dog I saw back in 2005.

Enjoy the photos!

Here the dog seems to be looking at its reflection in the well-polished car.

The dog is getting the attention of the band!



No comments:

Post a Comment